Work Visa Finland

Work Visa Finland

Finland has great work opportunities. However, in order to freely work there, third-country nationals need a Finland work visa.

The work visa is slightly different from other visas since it’s a long-term permit and it allows the holder to stay for a longer period of time than the regular 90 days limit.

Eligibility Requirements for a Finland Work Visa
In order to qualify for a work visa in Finland you need to meet some specific criteria:
  • You must have a valid work contract in Finland.
  • You must have a university degree (except for seasonal work).
  • You must work professionally in your field.
  • You must be clear of any criminal charges.
  • You must not be a danger to Finland.
  • You must uphold all Finnish laws.
  • You must not be subjected to any travel bans in the Schengen Area.
For a specialist visa: You must qualify as a highly-skilled worker.

For welfare and healthcare: You must be authorized to practice your profession.

For an entrepreneur visa: You are self-employed in the form of:
  • a private entrepreneur.
  • a partner in a general partnership.
  • a general partner in a limited partnership.
  • a member of a cooperative who has unlimited liability for refinancing.
  • an entrepreneur in a limited liability company.
For a start-up visa: You must have a start-up plan and financial support.

For specialist visa and EU Blue Card:
  • You must have a salary higher than average.
  • You must have high competence in completing the required work
For a researcher visa: You must hold a valid certificate proving your researcher status.

For scientific research: You must have an invitation to work on a scientific project.

For religious work: Your employer must be a registered association.

For au pair work: You must be between the ages of 17-30.

Before you apply for your work visa you must find a job in Finland. It’s obligatory to present a valid work contract with the rest of the application. Without work, you won’t be receiving a positive answer regarding your visa.

A work visa issued by Finnish authorities lasts about a year. However, the duration will vary depending on your type of visa.

If you have a B permit, otherwise known as a temporary permit, it will be valid only for a year. If you have an A permit, also known as a continuous permit, it will be valid for as long as you have work in Finland.

If you have any questions, please check the FAQ tab to find answers to the most common questions.
If you do not see the answer to your question, please contact the support team.

Still have questions?

Request a free consultation from our employment and legalization experts
Get a consultation