Work Visa UK - Tier 2, Tier 5

Work Visa UK - Tier 2, Tier 5

Tier 2
The Tier 2 General Work visa is a UK work visa, part of the British Points Based System. It is issued to highly skilled workers from outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland, who have a job offer for a skilled job or a job in the Shortage List.

To be eligible to apply for this visa you must have a job offer by a licensed sponsor in the UK. You should provide a certificate of sponsorship issued by the employer as a proof.

As a holder of Tier 2 General Work Visa, you will be permitted to travel outside the UK while on this visa. You can also bring dependents to the UK on a Tier 2 Dependent Visa.

To be able to apply for a UK General Work Visa you must meet a number of eligibility criteria. These criteria are as following:
  • You must pass the general grounds for refusal.
  • You must have a job and from a sponsoring employer in the UK, for a skilled job or a job in the Shortage List.
  • Have a Tier 2 Visa minimum salary offered of £30,000/year.
If you wish to remain longer in the UK in order to engage in a skillful job beyond the period of the existing visa, you can apply for an extension. This visa can be extended to an additional period of 5 years considering the total stay is no longer than 6 years.
Tier 5
The UK Temporary Worker Visa is an employment visa for non-EEA and non-Swiss nationals who wish to work temporarily in the UK.

It also permits you to do a second job in the same sector and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week. In addition, you can bring over your family members with you.

There are a limited number of types of work you can do with this visa, which are defined by the Temporary worker visa types.

UK Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa Types

If you wish to apply for a UK Temporary Work Visa, you must apply for one of the visa types that fall under it. The Temporary Work Visa types define the types of jobs that you can do under this visa.

Following, find the UK Temporary Work Visa Types and a short explanation for each.
  • Charity Worker visa. This is a UK Temporary Work Visa for those who wish to do unpaid voluntary work for a charity.
  • Creative and Sporting visa. You can apply for this visa if you have a work offer in the UK as a sports person or creative worker.
  • Government Authorized Exchange visa. You should apply for this visa if you want to come to the UK for the sole purpose of short-term work experience or to do a training. Also for an Overseas Government Language Program, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorized exchange scheme.
  • International Agreement visa. If you have been contracted to work for a foreign government or as a private servant in a diplomatic household, or other work covered by international law while in the UK, you should apply for this visa.
  • Religious Worker visa. Apply for this visa if you want to work in the UK as a religious preacher, in a religious order or other work related to religion.
  • Seasonal Worker Visa. This visa is for those who wish to do farm work in the UK for up to 6 months.
To apply for a UK Temporary Worker Visa you will need to meet the requirements listed below:
  • You must be a non-EEA and non-Swiss national.
  • You need to get a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer.
  • You should prove to the British authorities that you have £945 in your bank account, which has been there for at least 3 months before the date of your application. You will be exempt from this requirement, only if your sponsor is fully approved (‘A-rated’) and will be covering your accommodation and food for your first month in the UK.
All UK Temporary Worker Visas are valid for a maximum of two years, except for the Seasonal Worker Visa that is valid for a maximum of 6 months.

If you have any questions, please check the FAQ tab to find answers to the most common questions.
If you do not see the answer to your question, please contact the support team.

Still have questions?

Request a free consultation from our employment and legalization experts
Get a consultation