Work Visa Netherlands

Work Visa Netherlands

The requirements for a Netherlands work visa change depending on which of the Dutch residence permits that are available for work you are applying for. However, there is a set of standard requirements for any Dutch visa for that you will have to meet. Then, depending on the type of work visa you will need, there will be additional requirements as shown in the following sections.

Types of Netherlands Work Visas
Each type of Netherlands work visa has its own set of requirements and conditions.

For regular paid work (as an employee)

If you want to work in the Netherlands as a regular employee (a labour migrant), you will need a Netherlands Work Visa for regular paid work.

The requirements for a Dutch regular employee work visa are:
  • You need an employment contract with an employer in the Netherlands
  • You need to earn at least the minimum wage for employees over the age of 23
For seasonal labour

A Netherlands work visa for seasonal labour is granted to individuals who will be doing seasonal work in the Netherlands in the agriculture sector. A Dutch seasonal work visa can be issued for a maximum of 24 weeks.

The requirements for a Dutch seasonal labor visa include:
  • Employment contract with an employer in the Netherlands.
  • Obtaining a Single Permit (a combined residence permit and work permit).
  • You must earn the minimum wage or a percentage.
For a highly-skilled migrant

Highly skilled migrants are sometimes known as “knowledge workers”. They are the foreign nationals who will make a contribution to the Dutch knowledge-based economy. To be considered a highly-skilled migrant, you must earn a certain amount of income. If you are under 30 years old, you would have to earn a minimum of €3,299; if you are over 30, the minimum wage is €4,500.

Other conditions that apply to a highly skilled migrant are:
  • You need a contract with an employer or research institution in the Netherlands
  • The employer has to be a recognised sponsor by the IND
  • For scientific researchers: your employment contract is signed on behalf of the institution
  • For scientific researchers: the contract must include the job description and code in accordance with the University Job Classification system (UFO)
  • For doctors in training: the institute you are training in has been set out by the Medical Specialists Registration Committee (MSRC), Social Medicine Physicians Registration Committee (SGRC) or General practitioner and Nursing home Physicians Registration Committee (HVRC).
  • For doctors in training: you must be registered with the Individual Healthcare Professions, also known as the BIG-register.

If you have any questions, please check the FAQ tab to find answers to the most common questions.
If you do not see the answer to your question, please contact the support team.

Still have questions?

Request a free consultation from our employment and legalization experts
Get a consultation